Friday, August 31, 2012

God Will Keep You Safe






Through the years I have been in situations where I was genuinely afraid.  The Sunday afternoon that the cobra dropped from behind the dash board in our little car and bit me and our 18 month old daughter was a day of fear I'll never forget.  Another time was at the United States Embassy in Manila when I was doing passport work for our children.  As I finished and exited the building I was confronted by an angry mob who were looking for an American to kill.  

Those were scary times!  As a Christian we have no promises that we will escape times of fear and trial.  But we do have promises throughout the Bible that God will take care of us.  Everyone goes through scary times but if you know the Lord you will find comfort and strength in Him!  

In Psalm 57:1-5 we David crying out to God for help.  You can hear his fear when he wrote "Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me!  For my soul trusts in You."   David was fearful and had no one else to go to but God.  In verse 2 he uses the picture of a bird who places its wings over its babies to keep them safe.  Hiding under the shelter of God's wings is a picture that David uses often in the psalms that he wrote (see Psalm 17:8; 61:4; 63:7 and 91:4).

When you're afraid like King David was, you can always go to God.  He will protect you and give you peace just like the bird did in the picture above.

No comments: