Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Nation Adrift

Each morning when I check the latest news updates I remind myself that I can't remember any period of our nation's history that parallels what we are growing through, at least not in my life time. The majority of politicians on all sides continue to operate as if they are the vassals and the rest of us are the serfs. The president is regularly apologizing for America as he busily reshapes "the land of the free and the home of the brave" into a state that would have made Karl Marx proud. Any disagreement with him brings calls of racism that I thought was part of our countries past rather than a topic of revival for the present.

On the world scene America's new status is causing confusion in Poland and glee in Moscow. Holocaust denying dictators are welcomed to the podium of the United Nations while the Prime Minister of Israel faces a hostile crowd of diplomats at the same organization. Iran breaks all the rules developing a nuclear arsenal while Israel is told she can't defend herself. A collapsing global economy, record unemployment and fear about what's next characterizes the world today.

Maybe it's just me but do you get the feeling that something is going on? I don't mean just the antics of a new administration but something more. Something that has been developing for a long time; a plan that has been in the works for decades or even longer. I sense it in the news and I hear it in the checkout line at Wal-Mart. Like a distant storm forming on the horizon, something is coming.

In the book of Ecclesiastes we find the following words in verse 1: "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven." An interesting question to ponder is what season and time do we now find ourselves in? The answer might very well help us understand what's going on as well as the severity of the coming storm.

Join me tomorrow for some answers.

No comments: